Well, our Dynavox V arrived!
I’m relieved, excited…. and frustrated! Since the UPS man pulled up, I haven’t had more than two minutes to look at it! It figures I would have 3 dental appointments and a VBS meeting to attend right after it came.
Today should be better 🙂
So far I’m pleased with what I’ve seen as far as hardware goes. Dynavox’s new V and Vmax are very similar to the device we had for him before from Gus Communications. It amounts to a small tablet PC. Originally we avoided Dynavox because we didn’t want to be restricted to Dynavox software. There are other good programs we were using on our PCs and we felt it was better to offer him every method of communication and let him choose which to use. With the Dynavox V, for a fee, they open the ‘computer part’ so it works just like a tablet PC or laptop. We can install any other software we find that might be helpful to him.
The software looks ok too. Although, I’m not sold on the pre-programming. I suppose for most folks it works out to at least have the framework done for them. Maybe I’m just a control freak, but I like to start from scratch and have control over aesthetics as well as content. The pages seem visually overwhelming to me. I can’t seem to make sense of the color coding, irregular button shapes and odd choices for vocabulary placement.
Still, we can change it all if we want to! Now I need to get down to doing just that. The documentation that came with the device was very light. For the most part they expect folks will be looking stuff up on the computer, either on the website or in the help files. So that’s what I’ll be doing today….. I’m gonna need a BIG pot of coffee 🙂